Saturday 15 April 2017

A GIFT OF NATURE BY ROSLAN AHMAD

A GIFT FROM NATURE
 A painting which inspired the meaning of life

Whatsapps +6011-39461480 Nurulsham to deal the price

        Never had I imagined, the ups and downs in the journey of my life. My life had turned out to be so different from what I imagined it would be when I was much younger. My dream life, as sweet as it was, remains just a dream, from which I had to wake up from.    
      Childhood is the most wonderful stage of life. It was a time when I still have the love and care from my mother and my father. There was never a need to worry or fear anything, because my parents were always there to protect and guide me.
     As a child, I had loved nature. The rich greeneries had captivated me. The sounds of birds in the forest cheered me. I was free to bask in the wonder of nature. Regretfully, my love for nature was manifested in a misguided manner. As a naive young child lacking the understanding on the preciousness of life, the free birds in the forest became victims of my slingshot. How joyous the moments were, since I didn’t comprehend the impact of my naughty adventures.
      One day, my father took me to one side and explained why I should stop using my slingshot to hit birds. Eventually, I understood. Afterall, I was growing older as a teenager and started to think more about life.
      My love for nature was then expressed in another manner, a more respectful one – through paintings. I started by drawing the birds I observed in the forest. Then, I looked for other resources like reference books that showed how to draw and paint. I wanted to find an artist to be my role model and idol. And the only artist that I thought fit the bill well was … Tuan Jaafar Taib. His detailed paintings depicting nature and life were amazing.
      Oh Allah, I was immensely pleased and gratified with this gift You have bestowed upon me. I was content to live my life as best as I can.
      With the talents I possessed, I strived to achieve my ambition to further my studies in  architecture. But the reality is, not all our desires can be fulfilled. Sometimes, even when the will is strong enough, we still couldn’t achieve our dreams, if the environment and other factors got in the way. I stumbled and halted, so I had to forget my dream. I then learnt to accept God’s will, and moved on with my life, making do with what I was given without much complaints.
This painting is open for sale. Please contact
Nurulsham to deal the price. However the
artist need sometime to perfect the painting

      I went to study biochemistry in Indiana University, a field quite different from my original interest. But the passion I had in arts and painting never dimmed, and I continued to draw in my university years. It was then that I produced this painting of parakeets, back in 1992. I named this painting ‘The Gift From Nature’.
       It didn’t cross my mind at all back then, that in the future, this very drawing will give me a life lesson – which is to live meaningfully!
       Life throws you challenges without any warning. After years of comfortable living financially, I lost my job in 2012. All of a sudden, life became gloomy. I had to look for other ways to support my family. With the artistic talent I have, I tried my luck as a freelance graphic designer. But I was feeling stressed and depressed. Eventhough I was gifted as an artist, my commerce acuity was wanting. I found it hard to demand a reasonable payment for my services, so I was finding hard to make ends meet.
       One day, I met an old friend. X was a businessman who was always busy with work. When we met, he seemed quite disconcerted. A partner abandoned the company and it was up to him to resolve all issues. He had to work really hard, travelling from north to south, and from west to east, to manage his business. At one point, X was so overwhelmed that he decided to let go of his control.
       In the next meeting, X happened to view this painting of parakeets. The painting touched him in ways I couldn’t decipher. Something spoke out to his emotions. I could feel his spirits coming back through the sparkle in his eyes. “The rambai fruits look tasty.” I was duly impressed. That was the first such comment I’ve ever received when people saw this painting. No one had identified the rambai fruits correctly before. He was the first person to recognize the fruit in the painting of the four parakeets.
        “How could you tell that this is rambai?” I wanted to find out.
        “There’s a lot of rambai trees in my hometown, including my late father’s orchard.”
         Who could have guessed, after looking at this painting, X returned to his hometown, leaving his networking business behind. He took his children back to explore his late father’s orchard.
         Not long after, I received the following note: “Thank you, my good friend. I have long forgotten the gift that’s right in front of my eyes. The happiness and joy watching my children play in the little stream in this orchard is something that money cannot buy. I can’t trade this life’s pleasure even with all the assets that I have. I had left them too long, and I will regret that till my last day. What a fool I was – spending too much time gathering materials which would never cared about me."
         “Please keep the parakeets painting for me. I’d like to have it, if you haven’t intended it for anyone else. The painting means a lot to me. I have forgotten that providence from Allah is bountiful. For all His creatures, for mankind or for birds like the parakeets in your painting. I was so constrained by my limited perception about working hard to provide for myself and my family, that I’ve forgotten that family and happiness are gifts from Allah too. And they’re right in from of my eyes!”
       I was stunned. I had never imagined that this painting could create such a big impact to someone. That is the interpretation that X had guided by the will of Allah. I then started thinking long and hard – what about me? What does this painting mean to me? Not unlike X, I began to realize that Allah’s providence is vast and unlimited, for all His creatures.
The colours in the original painting had
faded away. You can see marks of bug 
bites on the right side of this painting. 
It is actually an unfinished work, but 
a family member had waxed the
 painting. In 2016, the artist got the
idea of using oil paint to restore this
 painting. By right, the quality of the
 watercolour drawing will be 
preserved. For this purpose, a
 lot white colour will be used to 
create shading effect similar to 
the style of watercolour painting
       Now that I was struggling to make ends meet, and the path was so strenuos, I sometimes forgot about that. I understand now that I shouldn’t limit myself. I should look for opportunities and create them, by overcoming the challenges that had been blocking me. I have to go out of my comfort zone, to strive hard to reach my true potential. Because I know that Allah is always by my side. And that He will help me and guide if only I would beseech Him.
       This precious painting, will be given to my friend X. I know he will appreciate it and take good care of it as well as I myself would. As for me, life goes on. Even though my steps are still shaky, at least my spirit is revived. I will pray to Allah to seek his guidance, and I hope that you will pray for me, too. I want to keep producing arts for asbest as I can, for as long as I can, by the will of Allah. 

-As narrated to novelist Nurulsham Saidin. 

More on this artist paintings klik here.

No comments:

Post a Comment